Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 29, 2011

29th of May – taking the speedway south


188,00 km  Solec – Kielce

I thought that today was going to be a quite easy day, with not many kilometers, so I started really calmly. I had a big breakfast with my hosts and I started getting ready. Maciej, who is a Tennis instructor, had to go work before I left, but I stayed a bit longer with his girlfriend and his mother. We had a great coffee (I love that coffee machine). And then I left.

At the beginning it was very cloudy, but as the hours went by it got much better, and at the end of the afternoon it was completely clear.

As I didn´t have that many kilometers ahead I decided to avoid the national road as long as I could, going through small regional ones. At the beginning it was fun, the roads were great and really few cars on the way. I crossed many small villages, with big churches, but as it was Sunday, they were completely full. There were even people hearing the mess from the outside. I have never seen a country so religious.

I also crossed many plantation fields, and lots of them had scarecrows. It was fun to see them standing there. I´m not sure in other countries they are used as much. Half way there were lots of construction works, in basically every road and village, so I decided to go to the national road.

The road 7, for my surprise, was very good. Not only the road was in good condition, but the side was so wide that I could fit perfectly, without annoying the cars. So I decided to keep going as long as I could on it.

Since I entered Poland I´ve been seeing many Christian figures on the side of the road. Sometimes is Jesus on the cross, or a Virgin Mary, and other times a Saint. But it especially curious the Virgin Mary ones, because May it´s the month of adoration, they are full of flowers and colors.

I continued through this road, and there was a point where it looked that the road was turning much bigger, but there were no signs. I stopped and asked if it was allowed for me to go there. In that gas station they had a little group discussion about it, and then they told me that I was allowed. So I continued. A couple kilometers later, this road turned into a speedway, with 2 or 3 lanes for each direction. So I left it as soon as I could, but I had to do around 12 kilometers.

I have to say that it´s also great for bikes to go in the speed way, I was going almost 30km per hour, average, and the side was so big that 3 bikes could fit. But it´s not nice when the cars go at 120. So I continued to Kielce through smaller roads.

When I got to this city I had some problems finding the meeting place that I had arranged with my hosts, but I found it at the end. They, Michal and Gosia, took me to their place and had some supper.

Later we drunk and talked till quite late. They have been not so long ago 4 months in Asia, so it was really interesting to listen to their stories. But I was quite tired and they have to work tomorrow, so after a while we decided to call it a night.

Today it was fun going through small villages, but I had to ask many times for direction. And one funny thing about polish people, is that when I ask them for directions, they talk in polish without pointing anywhere. And they talk for a long time, maybe a minute. So I have to point in different directions, till they say “tak” (yes).

P1030240

A scarecrow on a field.
Un espantapájaros en  el camino.

P1030241

One of the churches full of people.
Una de las iglesias llena de gente.

P1030242

A figure of the Virgin Mary, on the side of the road.
Una Virgen María al lado de la carretera. 


29 de mayo – cogiendo la autovía hacia el sur. 


188,00 km  Solec – Kielce 


Pensaba que hoy iba a ser un día tranquilo, con pocos kilómetros, por lo que me lo he tomado con calma. He tomado un desayuno enorme con los que me alojan y me he empezado a preparar. Maciej, que es entrenador de tenis, tenía que ir a trabajar, por lo que se ha ido antes de que yo me fuera. Pero yo me he quedado un rato más con su novia y su madre, tomando un café (me encanta esta máquina), y luego me he marchado.


Al principio el día estaba muy nublado, pero según pasaban las horas se ha ido despejando, y a última hora de la tarde, no había ni una nube.


Como no tenía que hacer muchos kilómetros, he decidido evitar la carretera principal, lo máximo posible, yendo por carreteras regionales. Al principio era divertido, las carreteras están muy bien, y había muy pocos coches. He cruzado pueblitos con iglesias enormes, pero como era domingo estaban completamente llenas. Incluso había gente atendiendo la misa desde fuera. Nunca he visto un país tan religioso.


También he cruzado muchas plantaciones, con espantapájaros. Era divertido verlos ahí de pie. Creo que en otros países no se usan tanto.  A medio camino han empezado a haber muchas obras, casi en todas las carreteras y pueblos, por lo que he decidido coger la carretera nacional.


La nacional 7, para mi sorpresa, estaba muy bien. No solo estaba en buenas condiciones, sino que también el arcén era muy ancho, por lo que podía ir sin molestar a los coches. Así que he decidido seguir por esta todo lo posible.


Desde que he entrado en Polonia he visto muchas figures religiosas al borde de las carreteras. A veces es una cruz, o la Virgen María, o algún santo. Pero ahora las de la Virgen son especialmente curiosas, porque mayo es el mes de adoración, por lo que están llenas de flores y colores.


He seguido por la misma carretera hasta un punto en el que parecía que se convertía mucho más grande, pero no había ninguna señal. He parado a preguntar si las bicis podían seguir. En esa gasolinera todo el mundo ha empezado a dar su opinión, pero al final han llegado a un consenso y me han dicho que sí. Por lo que he seguido. Un par de kilómetros más tarde, se ha convertido en una autovía, con dos o tres carriles para cada sentido. Por lo que la he dejado lo antes posible, pero aun así he tenido que hacer unos 12 km.


Tengo que decir que las autovías también están muy bien para las bicis, iba a casi 30 km /h de media, y el arcén era tan grande que cogen 3 bicis. Pero la verdad es que no es muy agradable cuando los coches te pasan a 120. Por lo que he seguido hasta Kielce por carreteras más pequeñas.


Cuando he llegado a esta ciudad he tenido problemas para encontrar el sitio donde había quedado con los que me alojan, pero después de dar varias vueltas lo he llegado. Michal y Gosia, me han traído a su casa y hemos cenado.


Después hemos estado bebiendo y hablando hasta tarde. Hace poco que han vuelto de Asia, donde han estado 4 meses, por lo que es muy interesante escuchar sus aventuras. Pero estaba cansado y ellos tienen que trabajar mañana, por lo que tras un rato nos hemos ido a dormir.


Hoy ha sido un día divertido atravesando pueblos pequeños, pero he tenido que preguntar muchas veces por el camino. Una cosa curiosa de los polacos, es que cuando les pregunto por donde seguir, hablan en polaco pero no señalan a ningún lado. Hablan durante casi un minuto. Así que tengo que señalar en diferentes direcciones, hasta que me dicen “tak” (sí).

1 comment:

  1. ¿QUé tal estos días? síguenos contando que aquí estamos disfrutando de tu odisea.

    Besos.

    ReplyDelete