Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

25th of May – Experiencing Polish roads


155,20 km  Sejny – Lomza

Today I finally experienced the famous polish roads. I crossed Poland with my car several years ago, and mixing my memories with what people told me, I was not very optimistic. Before I started the trip, after Russian, it was Polish roads I feared the most.

I didn´t wake up especially early, so I could have breakfast with the girls that are hosting me, and afterwards we went to their working place, a cultural center. They don´t have internet at home, so they let me use it there. I needed to do several things, so I ended up leaving almost at 10, but I didn´t have to do many kilometers today, so I didn´t care.

I started going, afraid of the roads, but my fears were unfounded. The roads are good! There is almost no sideway, but the cars and trucks give me lots of space. Still it was really crowded, and I didn´t enjoy very much the way.

A little bit before I entered Augustow I saw 2 boats full of tourists crossing the canal. So I thought, “It has to be a nice place, with so many tourists”. I went to the center and it seemed a quite regular city, but I went to the tourist information office. I asked if they could tell me what to see in a quick tour with the bike. They woman gave me a brochure and said:”read”. I insisted, telling her that I just wanted to go for a small tour, but she said that everything was in the paper. So I left the town.

From there I took the main road going to Warsaw, so it was even more crowded, and started being very windy, so I was not in a very good mood. On top of that, it started raining. It was very annoying because it was raining 10 minutes and stopped for another 10, and it went like this till I arrived to Lomza, where I´m staying the night. Another problem was that it was too warm to leave the raincoat on, so every 10 minutes I had to stop and put it on, or off.

Finally I got to Lomza. I´m being hosted by a teacher, and sometimes guide tour, and his son. They took me to their house, and we had a quick dinner. Afterwards they really wanted to show me around, and I, of course, was really interested. We met a friend of Mariusz, my host. She, Beata, doesn´t speak English, but we could communicate in Spanish-Italian.

They took me to the hills, where the first settlement was established in the 9th century, but after it was destroyed, they changed the location to the place where it´s now. It´s a really beautiful place and you can see the Narew River, with its many curves.

Later we went t the center, but it was night already. Luckily the church was opened, but we could see it only for a second. It´s late gothic, and it´s much more interesting from the inside than from outside. Around there are many statues and pictures of the pope John Paul II, in most of the Polish churches there is something that commemorates him.

We walked around but soon we went home, where we had some sandwiches and talked. We saw they rout I was going to take and they recommended to go to Treblinka, to visit the place where the Nazi extermination camp used to be.

We stayed till quite long, and they offered Psiwo Jelowcowe, which is a local beer without alcohol. And also cherry licour, made by Mariusz. This one was tasty, and he told me that he makes 4 or 5 bottles a years, because he has only one cherry tree.

When we realized how late it was, we decided to go to sleep, but he offered to show me around if I stayed one more day. On the moment I said that I would think about it, but now, as I´m writing the blog, I think I will stay an extra day, it seems a nice place.


P1030161

On the way, close to Augustow. This is more or less what I see for 8 hours a day.
De camino, cerca de Augustow. Esto es más o menos lo que veo unas 8 horas al día.

P1030162

A marching band that cut the street for several minutes.
Una banda que cortó la carretera durante varios minutos.

P1030173

Me in the center of Lomza, next to the statue of Hanka Bielicka.
Yo en el centro de Lomza, al lado de la estatua en honor a Hanka Bielicka.


25 de Mayo –  Por las carreteras polacas.

155,20 km  Sejny – Lomza

Hoy por fin he probado las carreteras polacas. Crucé Polonia con mi coche hace varios años, y juntando lo que me acordaba con lo que me habían contado, la situación no era muy optimista. Antes de empezar el viaje, después de las rusas, eran las carreteras polacas las que me daban más miedo.

No me he levantado especialmente temprano, por lo que he podido desayunar  con las chicas que me alojan y después hemos ido a su lugar de trabajo, un centro cultural. Como no tienen internet en casa, me han dejado utilizarlo allí. Necesitaba hacer varias cosas, por lo que he acabado saliendo casi a las diez, pero como no tenía que hacer muchos kilómetros, me daba un poco igual.

He empezado a ir, esperando encontrarme carreteras horribles, pero, ¡no podía estar más equivocado! Son bastante buenas. Casi no hay arcén, pero los coches y camiones me dejan mucho sitio. Las carreteras  estaban muy concurridas, por lo que no he disfrutado mucho el trayecto.

Un poco antes de llegar a Augustow he visto dos barcos lleno de turistas cruzando el canal. Por eso he pensado, “si hay tantos turistas debe haber algo interesante”. He ido al centro y me ha parecido una ciudad normal, pero aun así he ido a la oficina de información. Les he preguntado qué era lo que podía ver en una vuelta rápida con la bici. La mujer me ha dado unos papeles y solo me ha dicho “¡lee!”. He insistido, pero ella no quería explicarme nada. Así que le he dejado los papeles y me he ido del pueblo.

Desde ahí he tenido que coger la carretera principal que va  a Varsovia, por lo que había más coches aún, y había bastante viento, por lo que no estaba de muy buen humor.  ¡Y encima se ha puesto a llover! Era muy molesto porque llovía 10 minutos, y otros 10 no, y ha sido así toda la tarde, hasta llegar a Lomza, donde voy a pasar la noche. Otro problema era que hacía demasiado calor como para dejarme el chubasquero puesto, así que cada diez minutos tenía que parar para ponérmelo, o quitármelo.

Finalmente he llegado a Lomza, donde me aloja un profesor de inglés, a veces guía turístico, y su hijo. Me han llevado a su casa y hemos cenado. Después tenían muchas ganas de enseñarme los alrededores, y yo, por supuesto, estaba muy interesado. Hemos quedado con una amiga de Mariusz, el que me aloja. Ella, Beata, no habla inglés, pero hablábamos una mezcla entre italiano y castellano.

Me han llevado a las colinas, donde se fundó el pueblo en el s.IX, pero después de ser destruido, trasladaron el lugar a donde está hoy en día. Es un sitio muy bonito, y se puede ver el rio Narew, con sus tantas curvas.
Hemos ido al centro, pero ya era de noche. Por suerte la iglesia estaba abierta, pero solo hemos podido entrar un minuto. Es una iglesia del gótico tardío, y es mucho más interesante la parte de dentro que la de fuera. Alrededor hay muchas estatuas del papa Juan Pablo II, en casi todas las iglesias polacas hay algo que le conmemora.

Después hemos dado una vuelta, pero no mucho más tarde hemos vuelto a casa, donde hemos comido unos sándwiches. Hemos estudiado mi recorrido para mañana, y me han recomendado visitar Treblinka, y ver el lugar donde había un campo de exterminio Nazi.

Tras esto nos hemos quedado un buen rato más hablando, y Mariusz me ha ofrecido Psiwo Jelowcowe, que es una cerveza sin alcohol local. Y también he probado un licor de cereza, que hace el mismo. Este último está muy rico, y me ha dicho que solo hace 4 o 5 botellas al año, porque solo tiene un cerezo.


Cuando nos hemos dado cuenta de lo tarde que era, hemos decidido ir a dormir, pero me ha dicho que si me quedo otra noche más, mañana me enseña mejor el pueblo. Le he dicho que me lo iba a pensar, pero ahora, según escribo este post, creo que me voy a quedar, parece un sitio agradable. 

1 comment:

  1. Veo que te encuentras de todo, gente bastante maleducada, pero, sobre todo, personas muy amables...¡Quédate con lo segundo!

    ¡Me gusta la foto de tu punto de vista, original!

    ReplyDelete