Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2011

26th of May – Easy day in Lomza


0km – Lomza

As I decided yesterday night, I stayed another day in this Polish town. Since I started I´ve been very busy, cycling, or visiting cities, so I wanted to take it easy, relax. In the morning I succeeded doing this, but later I became busy again.

I woke up late and I had breakfast peacefully in my host´s backyard. The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect. Slowly I got ready to go to the town and left. Once in the center I decided to have a coffee in the central square and write the blog. But in the terraces they only sold beer and juices. So I went to an ice-cream place and sat on a bench.

A bit before noon I went to the library where Beata, the woman I met yesterday, works. She had told me that she could take some time off to show me around. On that moment I got a sms from Mariusz, offering me to go to talk about my trip to one of his classes. And I also wanted to meet another couchsurfing host, with whom I didn´t stay.

Beata showed me the town, quite quickly, as she had to go back to work, but first we went to a bookshop and I bought the Little Prince in Polish. Afterwards we saw the gothic church again, but this time with more time, another church, and the Jewish cemetery.

Later I went to have a tea to the other coushsurfer´s house. She was really nice to talk to and she had many questions about my trip and Norway. But in less than half an hour Mariusz came to pick me up and took me to his high school, where I talked about my trip. They didn´t have internet connection in the class, but I could show them my route on a map and some of my pictures. At the end we had some pictures taken, all of us.


After dinner we did a little trip to Jedwabne. It´s a really small village, but unfortunately, it´s famous for a massacre that occurred when the Nazi´s invaded Poland. It´s unsure how many Jews were killed, and there is also a really big discussion (started a book by professor Jan T. Gross), about who were the perpetrators. The monument is really simple, but I think is powerful enough, to remind everybody the horrible things that occurred.

Later we came back to Lomza and we saw the old Jewish graveyard, and then the Christian one. This last one is one of the oldest still in use in Poland, and it´s always full of people, not necessarily sad, and it´s really colorful, with lots of flowers.

At the end of the day I cooked them supper and we had a Lomza beer (obviously brewed in Lomza), and decide to go to bed. We already said goodbye, because I will leave tomorrow before they wake up.
Today even though I planned to have a relaxing day, it was not so much. Still I saw many things and it was interesting, I don´t know if I would come back, but certainly it would be nice.


P1030179

Me in front of the gothic church, with a copy of the Little Prince.
Yo delante de la iglesia gótica, con una copia del Principito.

P1030174

The inside of the church.
El interior de la iglesia.

DSC06449 (1)

Mariusz, me and the rest of the class.
Mariusz, yo y el resto de la clase.

P1030183


The Christian cemetery.
El cementerio cristiano.


26 de mayo –  Día tranquilo en Lomza

0km – Lomza

Como decidí ayer por la noche, me he quedado en este pueblo polaco. Desde que empecé el viaje siempre he estado haciendo cosas sin parar, pedaleando, o visitando algún sitio, por lo que esta vez quería tomármelo con calma y descansar. Por la mañana lo he conseguido pero poco después, he acabado teniendo el tiempo justo para lo que quería hacer.

Me he levantado tarde y he desayunado en el jardín de Mariusz. Hacía sol y la temperatura era perfecta. Tranquilamente me he preparado y me he ido al centro. Una vez allí he pensado en tomar un café en la plaza central y escribir el blog. Pero en las terrazas solo vendían cerveza y zumos. Así que me he comprado un helado y me he sentado en un banco.

Un poco antes de mediodía he ido a la biblioteca donde trabaja Beata, la mujer que conocí ayer. Me había dicho que podía salir un rato y enseñarme un par de sitios del pueblo. En ese momento también he recibido un mensaje de Mariusz, ofreciéndome la oportunidad de hablar sobre mi viaje en su clase de inglés. Además también quería visitar a un miembro de la comunidad de couchsurfing, con quien no me quedo.

Beata me ha enseñado el pueblo, bastante rápido, ya que tenía que volver al trabajo, pero antes de nada hemos ido a una librería a comprar el Principito en polaco. Después hemos visto la iglesia gótica otra vez, pero esta vez con más tiempo, otra iglesia y un cementerio judío.

Más tarde he ido a tomar un café a casa de la otra persona de couchsurfing. Ella es muy maja y hemos hablado bastante, ella tenía muchas preguntas sobre mi viaje y sobre Noruega. Pero en menos de media hora Mariusz ha venido a recogerme para llevarme a su instituto. Aquí no tenían internet en las clases, pero les he enseñado el recorrido en un mapa y unas cuantas fotos. Y al final nos hemos sacado fotos todos juntos.

Después de comer hemos ido hasta Jedwabne. Es un pueblo muy pequeño, pero por desgracia es famoso por una masacre que ocurrió cuando los Nazis invadieron Polonia. No es seguro cuantos judíos fueron asesinados, y también hay una gran polémica (que empezó por la publicación del libro del profesor Jan T. Gross), sobre quienes fueron los autores. El monumento es muy simple, pero creo que tiene la suficiente fuerza como para recordar las atrocidades cometidas.

Tras esta excursión hemos vuelto a Lomza, donde hemos visitado el cementerio judío antiguo y después uno cristiano. Este último es uno de los más antiguos todavía activo en Polonia, y siempre está lleno de gente, no necesariamente triste, y hay tantas flores que está lleno de colores.

Al final del día he preparado la cena y probado cerveza Lomza (obviamente local), y he ido pronto a la cama. Ya nos hemos despedido, porque mañana saldré temprano, antes de que se levanten.

Hoy a pesar de haber intentado tomármelo tranquilo, no ha sido tanto. He visto muchas cosas y ha sido interesante, no sé si volveré, pero es un sitio muy agradable.

2 comments:

  1. Tan interesantes como siempre tus aventuras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. que guay hodei!ya me alegro!!un abrazo y te quiero ver pronto por aquí!!;-)

    ReplyDelete