Total Pageviews

Friday, May 27, 2011

27th of May – New distance record.


221,44 km  Lomza – Solec

Today was a really long day, I did lot´s of kilometers, but I was mentally and physically ready for the challenge. The plan was not to make a new record, but it happened.

As I had planned I woke up early, before my hosts woke up, and left (half an hour later than I wanted).  I decided to go to Treblinka, doing a 20km detour. Around this village there was a Nazi extermination camp, and they told me that once in the surroundings I had to go there.

The trip till there was not bad, full of cars, of course, but the road was in good condition, except the last few km. The memorial it´s a bit further away than expected from the town, so here it´s when I started doing extra kilometers.

When I got to Treblinka, there was nobody. There was even a closed ticket office, but as there was no door or fence, I just went in. it´s quite big, with the different parts where the buildings used to be. The first one you can get to is the extermination camp. That´s where I went.  There is nothing left from the Nazis, as they were able to destroy everything before the arrival of the allies. But there is a really big monument and lots of stones around it, like if they were gravestones.

The place it´s actually nice, in the middle of a forest, but it´s hard to enjoy knowing what was done here. There are also some other monuments a bit further in the forest, where there were other buildings, but I decided not to go. The one I had seen it was enough for me. I prefer when this things are simple and not too graphic, as we all know what happened, I think it´s more powerful.

After a while there I continued my trip towards my new hosts, in a village 20 km from Warsaw. Around this time it got quite cloudy, so I put the plastic covers to the panniers and got my raincoat ready. It actually didn´t rain till much later, but I prefer to be safe.

When I was really close to Mińsk Mazowiecki, there was a new part where bikes were not allowed. So I had to look for a way to skip it. I asked the locals, but all of them told me to go in the main road. Maybe it was stupid of me, but I didn´t want to go in such a big road, with cars going really fast.

As they all told me that there was no other way, I started asking for small villages along the way. It was quite hard, as almost nobody spoke English, but most of them tried to help. Finally I made it, but doing an extra 15 km, and loosing almost one hour of time. It was not that bad, and I got to see some really small villages, with really big churches, usually not very beautiful.

When I finally made it to the main road again, and this time I was allowed there, it started raining quite hard and didn´t stop till I got to my hosts place. There was a really big traffic jam, but it didn´t affect me at all, I went on the side more or less at the same speed as before. It was fun going much faster than the cars.

When I got to Gora Kalwaria I had really few km left, but the road had so many holes that it would make a homesick Russian drop tears of joy. I did it anyway and when I got to Solec I met my hosts, Maciej and Anya, and his parents. We all had supper and talked, and at the end I tried some dark Polish beer. They are really nice people and they offered to show me Warsaw tomorrow. It was not in my plans, but I accepted, so I will stay here two nights.

Even though I did more kilometers than ever before I´m not especially tired, and anyway tomorrow I will rest. But now I have to think the way for the next days, because now I´m thinking not to go to Krakow, or not to go to the Czech republic. I will have to choose very soon.

P1030186

Me at Treblinka.
Yo en Treblinka

P1030188

A big church in a tiny village.
Una gran iglesia en un pueblo diminuto.


27 de mayo – Nuevo record de distacia.

221,44 km  Lomza – Solec

Hoy ha sido un día muy largo, con muchos kilómetros, pero estaba preparado mental y físicamente para el desafío. El plan no era batir el record, simplemente ha ocurrido.

Como había planeado me he levantado pronto, antes que el dueño de la casa, y me he marchado (media hora más tarde de lo que quería). He decidido ir a Treblinka, haciendo 20 km de más. Cerca de este pueblo había un campo de exterminio nazi, y me habían comentado que, una vez en los alrededores, tenía que ir.

El recorrido hasta allí no ha estado mal, lleno de coches, por supuesto, pero las carreteras estaban en buenas condiciones, excepto los últimos kilómetros. El memorial está un poco más lejos de lo que esperaba, y ahí ha sido cuando he empezado a hacer km de más.

Cuando he llegado a Treblinka no había nadie. Incluso la taquilla estaba cerrada, pero como no hay puerta o verja, he entrado sin problemas. Es muy grande con diferentes partes, donde estaban los edificios. El primero es el lugar del campo de exterminio. Y ahí es a donde he ido. No queda nada de los nazis, porque consiguieron destruirlo antes de que llegaran los aliados. Pero hay un monumento enorme con muchas piedras alrededor, imitando lápidas.

El sitio es en realidad agradable, en medio del bosque, pero es difícil de disfrutar conociendo la historia. Hay otros monumentos más adentro en el bosque, donde había otros edificios, pero he decidido no ir. El que he visto ha sido suficiente. Prefiero cuando este tipo de cosas son simples y no demasiado graficas, ya que todos conocemos los hechos, creo que tiene más fuerza.

Después de estar un rato allí he seguido mi camino hacia la casa de las siguientes personas que me alojan, en un pueblo a 20 km de Varsovia. Sobre esta hora se ha nublado,  así que he puesto los plásticos sobre las alforjas y he sacado el chubasquero. En realidad no ha llovido hasta mucho más tarde, pero prefiero no jugármela.

Cuando estaba llegando a Mińsk Mazowiecki, había una parte de la carretera por donde las bicis no podían ir. Así que he tenido que evitarla. He preguntado a la gente del pueblo, pero todos me decían que fuera por la carretera principal. Igual no ha sido la mejor decisión, pero no quería ir por una carretera por donde los coches iban tan rápido.

Como me insistían diciendo que no había ningún otro camino, he empezado a preguntar por pueblitos a lo largo del camino. Ha sido difícil, ya que casi nadie hablaba inglés, pero casi todos intentaban ayudar. Finalmente lo he conseguido, pero haciendo 15 km extra, y perdiendo casi una hora. No ha estado mal, y así he visto pueblos muy pequeños, con iglesias muy grandes, normalmente no muy bonitas.

Cuando por fin he llegado a la carretera principal otra vez, y esta vez las bicis podían ir por ella, se ha puesto a llover bastante fuerte y no ha parado hasta llegar a mi destino. Había una caravana enorme, pero a mí no me ha afectado, he seguido por el arcén a la misma velocidad de antes. Ha estado bien ir más rápido que los coches.

Cuando he llegado a Gora Kalwaria ya solo me quedaban unos pocos kilómetros, pero la carretera tenía tantos agujeros que harían que un ruso se sintiera en casa. Cuando he llegado a Solec he conocido a los que me alojan, Maciej y Anya, y a los padres de él. Hemos cenado todos juntos y al final me han dado a probar una cerveza oscura polaca. Son muy majos y me han ofrecido enseñarme Varsovia mañana. No estaba en mis planes, pero he aceptado, por lo que me voy a quedar dos noches.

A pesar de que he hecho muchos kilómetros, no estoy especialmente cansado, y además mañana voy a descansar. Pero tengo que pensar el recorrido para los próximos días, ya que estoy pensando en no pasar por Cracovia, o no ir a Chequia. Tendré que decidirme pronto.

1 comment: