Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 25, 2011

25th of June – Hilly day with great views

170,61km Muret – Pau

Today I decided to take the hills, this meant going up and down all the time, but it was going to be shorter, and as I was told, more beautiful. I really enjoyed it and it was not as bad as I thought, I think when I check the elevation, I always think is going to be worst.

When I woke up I had breakfast with my host and I packed quickly. Before leaving the town I bought bread. Since I got to Italy, and now in France, I buy fresh bread every day. There are lots of bakeries, and the quality is great.

My host accompanied me for a bit more than 20 km, and he took me through small roads, and showed me a couple interesting things, like a house with lots of inscriptions in Occitan, or a XII. century church. When we got to Rieumes we had a coffee (a café au lait), and then we said goodbye. I still had many kilometers to do, but it was great to have company for a while.

It was really hot, and there were lots of uphills, but luckily there are lots of trees next to the roads. It´s said that Napoleon put them there, so the soldiers could walk better under the sun. I don´t know if it´s true, but it´s great to have shadow when it´s so hot.

The views were amazing, they didn´t lie to me. Most of the time I could see the Pyrenees, it was great. I stopped more times than I planned, because I found very nice places. The first time was next to a garden, but as there were no cars there I thought there was nobody. After a while there, a woman came out of the house and gave me some fresh water. It was fantastic.

I kept enjoying the views and the stops for a long time. I tried to make pictures, but it was hard. I contacted already my host for tomorrow, a friend’s uncle, and today´s, in Pau. The last 40 km were the worst. I thought that I was almost done, but the hills just kept coming, and I could feel the 200 km I did yesterday.

In this last part there was a really straight long downhill, and when I was half way, I realized I was going at 65 km/h, without pedaling. I thought that I could break the speed record. And I did! Almost 80km, it was amazing, and as there was no wind at all, it was ok.


Pau was much bigger than I could see in the map, but I found the place without any problems. There Francois, and his 2 sons, were already waiting for me to have dinner. I had a great fish lasagna, and cheese afterwards, of course. When he put the kids to sleep it got quite complicated, as they were very excited, but it didn’t take long.

Later I offered him the Pálinka I offer all my hosts, and he gave me some cognac and eau de vie. I never tried them, and they were both good, especially the second one. We saw the way for tomorrow, and he had some suggestions, which I will follow. And we also talked about trips and marathons. He is training with his wife to run the one in Barcelona, which I run 2 years ago. It was fun. Although it was great to talk with him we had to go to sleep, as I want to wake up early, and he will anyway because his sons wake up at 6:30 every day.

So I really enjoyed today, knowing the hills that were coming. The view of the Pyrenees was amazing, and I’m glad I don´t have to cross them. Tomorrow I will get to San Sebastian, very close to my house!

P1030814

My host and me.
Con mi anfitrión.

P1030815

Me with the Pyrenees in the background.
Los Pirineos de fondo.

P1030820

One of the resting places.
Uno de los sitios donde he descansado.


25 de junio – Día montañoso con buenas vistas

170,61km Muret – Pau

Hoy he decidido ir por las montañas, esto significa que he estado subiendo y bajando todo el día, pero ha sido más corto, y me han dicho que era más bonito. He disfrutado del camino, y no ha estado tan mal como esperaba. Creo que cuando miro la elevación siempre pienso que va  a ser peor.

Cuando me he despertado he tomado el desayuno con el que me aloja y me he preparado rápidamente. Antes de salir he comprado pan. Desde que he llegado a Italia, y ahora en Francia, compro pan fresco todos los días, hay muchas panaderías y la calidad es muy buena.

Mi anfitrión me ha acompañado algo más de 20 km, y me ha llevado por carreteras sin coches, y me ha enseñado un par de cosas interesantes, como una casa con inscripciones en occitano, o una iglesia del s.XII. Cuando  hemos llegado a Rieumes, hemos tomado un café (au lait), y nos hemos despedido. Todavía me quedaban muchos kilómetros, pero ha sido agradable tener compañía un rato.

Hoy ha sido un día muy caluroso y ha habido muchas cuestas, pero por suerte, hay muchos árboles al lado de la carretera. Se dice que Napoleón los hizo poner, para que los soldados no se agotasen al marchar por Francia. No sé si es verdad, pero es genial tener algo de sombra.

Las vistas eran increíbles, no me habían mentido. Casi todo el tiempo veía los Pirineos, ha estado muy bien. He parado más veces de lo que había planeado, porque había sitios muy agradables. La primera de estas ha sido en un jardín, pero como no había coche, pensaba que no había nadie. Pero tras un rato me ha salido una señora y me ha ofrecido agua fría, ha sido genial.

He seguido disfrutando del camino y de las paradas largas, pero ha sido duro. He intentado hacer fotos, pero eran difíciles de sacar. Además ya he contactado con mi anfitrión de mañana, el tío de un amigo, y con el de Pau, el de hoy. Los 40 km han sido los peores, cuando pensaba que ya casi había terminado, pero las colinas seguían apareciendo, y encima notaba los 200 km de ayer en mis piernas.

En esta parte había una cuesta abajo muy larga, y cuando iba por la mitad me he dado cuenta de que iba a 65km/h, sin pedalear. Entonces he intentado batir el record de velocidad. ¡y lo he conseguido!. ¡Casi 80! Y como no había viento, no ha habido ningún problema.

Pau es más grande de lo que parece en el mapa, pero he encontrado el sitio sin problemas. Allí, François y sus hijos me estaban esperando con la cena lista. Me han dado una lasaña de pescado muy rica, y después queso, claro. Poner a los niños en la cama ha sido un poco complicado, estaban muy nerviosos, pero no le ha llevado demasiado.

Después le he ofrecido Pálinka, el que ofrezco a mis anfitriones, y él me dado a probar coñac y eau de vi. Nunca los había probado, y especialmente el segundo me ha encantado. Hemos visto el camino para mañana y me ha recomendado un recorrido. También hemos hablado sobre viajes y maratones. El se está entrenando para el maratón de Barcelona, que yo corrí hace 2 años. Ha sido divertido. Y aunque estaba muy a gusto tenía que ir a dormir, para despertarme temprano, y él se despierta a las 6:30 todos los días, porque se despierta el hijo.

He disfrutado mucho hoy, sabiendo la elevación. Las vistas de los Pirineos han sido alucinantes, y me alegro de no tener que cruzarlos. ¡Mañana voy a dormir en San Sebastian, muy cerca de casa!

No comments:

Post a Comment