Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 18, 2011

18th of June – From the mighty Po to the Mediterranean

157,82 km  Pavia – Savona

Finally I made it, the Mediterranean it´s just below my window! I didn´t know how much I missed the sea. Almost 6 weeks without seeing it, and I missed it, as I always lived by it. I had some mountains, but I did most of the day in small roads, so it was fun.

From the beginning of the day I had this feeling that I should hurry to get to Savona. I was trying to get rid of it with many stops, but it was not easy. It was sunny and I wanted to jump into the sea, maybe that´s the reason.

At the beginning it was fun to cross the covered bridge I had seen yesterday, and not far from there I crossed the Po.

I only did around 30 km in the main roads, so the rest of the day was great, especially the second half, over the mountains to speed down to the sea. All day has been very windy, and it was annoying. It was hard even downhill, sometimes, and I was going much slower.

I stopped many times, till I got the feeling that I was not in a hurry, and I started to enjoy. There were some mountains but it was not very long. There were lots of beautiful places, and in the uphills there were lots of wooden benches, so sometimes I sat on them.

But the best thing of the day was the last 25 km, going downhill till the sea. Still it was windy so I didn´t dare to try to break the speed record. But it was enjoyable. I think downhill the view is always better.

When I got Savona I found the street where my hosts live without problems, but I could not find the number. I called and they came to pick me up. We put my things in their house, and when they asked me what I wanted to do first, the answer was clear: jump into the sea! So I did. It was cloudy and the Italians thought I was a bit crazy, but it was over 25ºC.

After the bath we went to a barbecue party in a bar quite close to the city. It was expensive, for me at least, but I have to say that it was in a great place right on the beach and the quality of the meat and the cheese was excellent.

Later we went for a night tour of Savona. Of course, the things were closed, but it was nice to walk around. We stopped in a bar and had an Italian beer, with the little snacks. It was warm, but suddenly it started raining, so we went home. It was getting late anyway. Before going to bed we talked for a while, but I was tired.

It was a fun day, and the feeling that I got when I saw the sea when I was coming down the mountain was great. Tomorrow I will keep going through the coast till Nice, it´s going to be all the way main road, but I heard is really beautiful.

P1030665

The Po river.
El rio Po.

P1030666

My bike in the first resting place.
Mi bici en el primer sitio donde he descansado.

P1030668

Me before swimming in the sea.
Yo antes de nadar en el mar.

P1030672

Dinner.
La cena.

P1030678

My hosts and me.
Mis anfitriones y yo.


18 de junio – Desde el místico Po hasta el Mediterráneo.

157,82 km  Pavia – Savona

Por fin lo he conseguido, ¡el Mediterráneo está justo debajo de mi ventana! No sabía cuánto echaba de menos el mar. Casi 6 semanas y lo he añorado, ya que siempre he vivido en la costa. He tenido que cruzar unas montañas, pero como he ido por carreteras secundarias ha sido entretenido.

Desde el comienzo tenía la sensación de que tenía que correr para llegar a Savona. He intentado librarme de él parando muchas veces, pero no ha sido fácil. Hacía sol y quería darme un baño en el mar, puede que ese sea el motivo.

Al principio he cruzado el Puente cubierto que vi ayer, y no mucho después he cruzado el Po.

Solo he hecho 30 km en las carreteras principales, por lo que el resto del día ha sido genial, especialmente la segunda mitad, subiendo unas montañas y bajando al mar. Todo el día ha hecho mucho viento, y era muy molesto. Incluso cuesta abajo iba mucho muy despacio.

He parado muchas veces, hasta que me he librado de la sensación de que tenía que correr, y entonces ha sido cuando he empezado a disfrutar. Ha habido montañas, pero no ha sido un trecho muy largo. Y allí había sitios muy bonitos y en las cuestas había bancos de madera, y a veces me he parado en ellos a recuperar el aliento.

Lo mejor han sido los últimos 25km, bajando hacia el mar. Todavía hacía bastante viento, por lo que no he intentado batir el record de velocidad. Ha sido divertido. Creo que las vistas cuesta abajo son siempre mejores.

Cuando he llegado a Savona he encontrado la calle de los que me le alojan, pero no el número. Les he llamado y me han venido a buscar. Hemos puesto mis cosas en su casa y cuando me han preguntado lo que quería hacer primero, la respuesta era clara: ¡darme un baño en el mar! Y lo he hecho. Estaba nublado y los italianos pensaban que estaba un poco loco, pero hacía más de 25 grados.

Después del baño nos hemos ido  una fiesta – barbacoa en un bar cerca de la ciudad. Ha sido caro, por lo menos para mí, pero es verdad que estaba en un sitio ideal en la playa y la calidad de la carne y del queso era excelente.

Más tarde hemos ido a dar una vuelta nocturna por Savona. Todo estaba cerrado, claro, pero era agradable pasear.  Hemos parado en un bar a tomar una cerveza italiana, con algo de picar. Hacía calor, pero de repente se ha puesto a llover, por lo que nos hemos ido a casa. Además ya se estaba haciendo tarde. Antes de ir a dormir hemos hablado un rato, pero yo ya estaba muy cansado.

Ha sido un día divertido, y la sensación de ver el mar al bajar de las montañas ha sido genial. Mañana voy a seguir por toda la costa hasta Niza, va a ser por la carretera principal, pero me han dicho que es muy bonita.

No comments:

Post a Comment