Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2011

Research and motivation

When I came with the idea of doing the trip I started looking in the internet for people who did something similar. There were actually quite a lot.

There was one web-page I specially liked. It was not for how well done it was written, or for how good it was planned his trip, it was just for the exact opposite. This guy went by bike from Nordkapp to Cape Town (just a few kilometers more than me), and I really liked it because he didn´t have any idea how to plan the trip, or what to expect. So I felt quite identified with him. At this point I was not looking for a great page with lost of details, I just needed a bit of motivation, and this guy did it. You can find his web-page here.

Afterward I started doing research on the equipment I needed, and how to live on the bike. For this I found really useful this web-page. It was written by an American who had done bike trips for over 30 years. For a few thousand kilometers at a time. It was more or less what I needed. He gives really good advice about many things, from planning to how to talk with people. I found specially useful the part when he explains the equipment he usually carried.

Right now I like travelingtwo. A nice web-page with lots of information about bike trips. They also write about their own tours. But every few days I look on the internet for people who have done adventures, not only by bike, and I see the problems they had and the solutions.

In this post I also wanted to thank Rafa. He has written a couple comments on this blog, and afterward we exchanged emails. He did a similar trip but through the west of Europe. He told me about his trip and things I have to be careful with, as well as lots of other advices.

Of course lately I like also funny things about bikes like "The Great Mongolian Bicycle Robbery", the way the author writes this happening is hilarious. And of course more Monty Python bike related sketches, like the following one, “bicycle repair man”:




Preparación y motivación


Cuando se me ocurrió la idea de hacer este viaje, lo primero que hice fue buscar en internet gente que había hecho algo parecido. Y resulta que hay bastantes.


Hay una página que es una de mis favoritas, no por como está escrita, o por lo bien que ha planificado el viaje, justamente por lo contrario. Esta persona fue desde Norkapp hasta Ciudad del Cabo (unos pocos kilómetros más que yo), y me ha gustado porque al principio no tenía ni idea de como preparar. Por eso me he sentido bastante identificado. En ese momento no estaba buscando grandes escritores sobre aventuras, quería algo para motivarme y este lo consiguió. Aquí podéis ver su página.


Después empecé a buscar páginas para empezar a planificar, sobretodo el equipo. Encontré esta página web de un norteamericano que hizo viajes durante más de treinta años, unos pocos miles de kilómetros cada vez. Era justo lo que necesitaba. Da muy buenos consejos, y encontré especialmente útil la lista de las cosas que él solía llevar.


Ahora me gusta bastante travelingtwo. Esta pagina está muy bien y ofrece mucha información sobre cicloturismo. También escriben sus propias aventuras. Pero cada poco busco en internet las páginas y blogs de gente que ha hecho travesías, no solo en bicicleta.


En este post también quería agradecer a Rafa. Ha escrito un par de comentarios en este blog, y después hemos intercambiado emails. Él hizo un viaje parecido al que voy a hacer yo, pero por el oeste de Europa. Me ha comentado cosas de su viaje, y me ha dado muchos consejos.


Últimamente también estoy leyendo muchas historias y anécdotas divertidas. Una de éstas es “El gran robo de bicicleta en Mongolia” (está en inglés), la forma de escribir del autor es muy graciosa. Y por supuesto sigo viendo sketches de Monty Python relacionados con el mundo de las bicis, como el de arriba, “arreglador de bicicletas man”.

No comments:

Post a Comment