Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 2, 2011

2nd of July – Under the Castillian sun with a taste of summer storm

112,38km Aranda de Duero – San Cristobal de Segovia.

As I decided yesterday, I took it easy today. It was just a bit over 100 km but I got to see one of the most famous Roman ruins in Spain. Even if it was a not so long ride, I couldn´t wait to get there and visit Segovia.

I didn´t wake up very early and still I took my time to get ready. Then I tried to see where my next host lived exactly, and … the street didn´t exist! I tried to call, but there was no answer. They didn´t give me a self phone number, so it was a bit more complicated. My host in Aranda said that it was better to call random people of the town and ask for her and the street. Well, she called several people, and no one knew her of the street.

So at almost 11 I decided to keep going, the worst thing that could happen is that I had to put my tent in the forest, and there are lots around here. The road was easy to follow and with few cars, so it was quite easy, but it was all the time a mild uphill. And every 45 minutes I tried to contact my next host. At some point someone answered the phone and said that my host was not there, but she said when she was going to be. At least she existed.

In several towns I crossed I tried to buy bread, but it was impossible, every place was sold out. Finally I found a mini supermarket that had some, so I could do my sandwiches.

For how few kilometers I did, I stopped quite a lot of times, always in nice places. And in one place, I even had the free internet from the village! I also went slowly, as I didn’t want to get tired. What surprised me is that there were almost no cars, and it was great. Maybe on weekends everybody from the interior goes to the coast, but I didn´t mind not having to care about the traffic.

When the time finally came, I contacted my hosts, and we arranged to meet at the church of her town. It still took me a couple hours to get there, but I arrived around 6 pm, in the middle of a storm, after having a really sunny day. Her son, Leonardo came to pick me up, and I went to their place, where the first thing I did was take a bath in their swimming pool. It was very relaxing for my muscles. When I was done I had 2 choices: go to a rock festival in a village, or visit Segovia. I decided for the second one and I went there by bike.

I´ve been here before, but I was very young and I barely remember anything. So I had fun, it was like seeing it again. Leonardo had printed me a map of the place, so I could walk easily without getting lost. Of course I saw the aqueduct, but it´s impossible to miss. I saw the cathedral and the Alcazar, but what I enjoyed most was walking around seeing the small Romanic churches. There are lots, and from the XII century, it was a pity that it was a bit late and all of them were closed.

When I returned I had dinner in their terrace looking at the mountains. I´m afraid I will have to cross them tomorrow, but it´s nice to look at them. Afterwards I checked a couple things on the internet and the way for tomorrow. As I had 2 options I asked Visi, my host, and she recommended the longer way (just 5 km more), but with an easier hill. Then we talked for a bit and she showed my pictures of her sons and daughter. It was good to talk, but before it got too late I went to bed, as I will wake up early tomorrow.

Today was quite easy and relaxing, and I really needed it. Now I feel much better and I’m in the travelling mood again. Maybe it was a mistake to cross my village, but I’m ok now anyway. Tomorrow I will have to climb the highest road of the whole trip, but the next day I will be already with a friend of mine.

P1030875

The first place where I rested.
El primer sitio donde he descansado.

P1030876


A Romanic church on the way.
Una iglesia románica de camino.

P1030881

The Segovian aqueduct.
El acueducto de Segovia.

P1030886

In Segovia the bikes you can rent are electric, because it´s very hilly.
En Segovia hay tantas cuestas que las bicis que se alquilan son eléctricas.


2 de julio – Bajo el sol de Castilla con un rato de tormenta de verano.

112,38km Aranda de Duero – San Cristobal de Segovia.

Como decidí ayer, hoy me lo he tomado tranquilo. He hecho poco más de 100 km, pero he podido ver unas de las ruinas romanas más conocidas de la península. Y a pesar de que no han sido muchos kilómetros, tenía ganas de llegar y visitar Segovia.

No me he levantado temprano, y aun encima me he preparado despacio. Cuando me he conectado para ver exactamente donde vivía mi anfitriona, ¡la calle no existía! He intentado llamar, pero no me contestaba nadie. No me habían dado un número de móvil, por lo que era un poco complicado. Mi anfitriona en Aranda me ha sugerido llamar a números aleatorios del pueblo, y preguntar por ella y por la calle. Así que ha llamado por mí a varias personas, pero sin ningún resultado.

Sobre las 11 he decidido salir, ya que lo peor que podía pasar era que tuviera que poner la tienda en el bosque, y hay muchos por aquí. La carretera ha sido muy fácil de seguir, con muy pocos coches, por lo que ha sido fácil, pero con una ligera subida todo el camino. Cada 45 minutos intentaba contactar a mi siguiente anfitriona, hasta que me han cogido y me han explicado que no estaba y me han dicho cuando volvía. Por lo menos ya sabía que existía.

En varios pueblos que he cruzado he intentado comprar pan, pero ha sido imposible, ya lo habían vendido todo. Finalmente he encontrado una tienda con pan de molde. No es lo mejor, pero he podido hacerme unos sándwiches.

Para los pocos kilómetros que he hecho he parado muchas veces, pero siempre en sitios agradables. Y en uno de los sitios, ¡hasta tenía internet gratis del pueblo! He ido despacio, para no cansarme mucho. Lo que me ha sorprendido es que no hubiera casi coches, y ha sido genial. Puede que los fines de semana todos los del interior se vayan a la playa, pero no me ha importado no preocuparme del tráfico.

Cuando ha llegado la hora he conseguido hablar con la mujer que me aloja y hemos quedado en la iglesia del pueblo. He llegado sobre las 6 en medio de una tormenta, después de todo el día de sol. Su hijo, Leonardo, me ha venido a buscar, y hemos ido a su casa, donde lo primero que he hecho ha sido bañarme en la piscina. Ha sido muy relajante para mis músculos. Cuando he terminado tenía dos opciones: ir a un festival rock, o visitar Segovia. Me he decidido por la segunda, y he ido en bici.

Ya había estado aquí, pero era muy pequeño y casi no me acuerdo de nada. Por lo que ha sido divertido verla otra vez. Leonardo me ha impreso unos mapas, por lo que podía callejear sin perderme. He visto, por supuesto, el acueducto, que es imposible de no verlo. También he visto la catedral y el alcázar, pero lo que me ha gustado han sido las pequeñas iglesias románicas. Hay muchas del siglo XII-XIII. Ha sido una pena que fuera tan tarde y estuvieran cerradas.

Cuando he vuelto he cenado en la terraza de la casa, con vistas a la sierra. Me temo que voy a tener que cruzarla mañana, pero es bonita de ver. Después he visto el camino para mañana en internet. Como tenía dos opciones he preguntado a Visi, mi anfitriona, y me ha recomendado ir por el camino más largo (solo 5 km), pero con subidas más suaves. Luego hemos seguido hablando y me ha enseñado fotos de sus hijos. Ha estado bien hablar y después he ido a la cama, porque me voy a levantar pronto.

Hoy ha sido fácil y relajante, y lo necesitaba. Ahora me siento mejor, y con ganas de seguir. Puede que haya sido una equivocación cruzar Getxo, pero ya estoy bien. Mañana tengo que pasar por el puerto más alto de todo el viaje, pero en dos días descansaré.

No comments:

Post a Comment